Monday, August 30, 2010

Mexican made easy



I am a huge fan of Mexican food...I crave it & almost feel I could eat it everyday, except for the fact I like a little variety in my menu. On the weekends I watch cooking shows as soon as I wake up for an hour or so, then I am ready to cook up some yummy weekend dinners. As obsessed as I am with cooking shows & looking up recipes, I often just think of things that sound like a delicious combination then write it down, and sometimes never even make again, even if it's out of this world, because like I said I like alot of variety. I thought of this recipe on a Sunday afternoon, (which is usually when I get my inspiration). I think because I'm so in-love with fall & fall meals that instead of an actual casserole, I just wanted to come up with an easy one-pot meal, that was delicious & well of course Mexican. So here's what I threw together, and let me tell you(it must be REALLY good for me to do the following) I ate it everyday for lunch that week! I'm calling it Mexican MoJo, because I did have a dish I already named this, but this one blows it out of the water!! I do not get to exact with my recipes since I'm usually trying to get creative & use what we have without buying too many additional ingredients...

p.s. this makes a freaking ton...so it is plenty for a family of 4 maybe more

1 box Rice a Roni spanish rice
1 fresh jalapeno diced
1 fresh red pepper diced
1/4 cup red onion diced
1 can corn drained
1 can black beans drained & rinsed
5 cubes of frozen cilantro(I get these at Trader Joes, but you can use fresh)
crumbled goat cheese for garnish

cook spanish rice according to package directions(it will have you add the canned tomatoes to the mix)when the rice is almost done cooking add the rest of the ingredients into the skillet, unless you like your veggies softer then you can add in beginning.
*for Ryan I added 1 cooked boneless skinless chicken breast seasoned with pepper after I portioned ours out into bowls. Use how ever much or little you want of ea.ingredient(except for rice & tomatoes)...Enjoy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Heather,
    Thank you SO much for this recipe. I made it for my family this weekend for dinner and they absolutely LOVED it! SUPER easy and SUPER yummy!!! I think my husband had about 3 helpings! Any time you have easy delicious recipes, feel free to post them on your blog! I always love trying out new recipes!!!
    ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete