Monday, January 18, 2010

yummy in my tummy


So I have a confession to make...I have been claiming to be a "vegan" now for almost 2 years...BUT...I still eat fish(no chance I'm giving it up) & I've been dabbling in some dairy recently(woops!), so for lack of a better word for my wierd food rules...I just call myself a vegan...Anyway...as a foodie it gets tough sometimes coming up with creative menu items...so I am constantly searching for new recipes & scanning every aisle at Trader Joes like inspector gadget to make sure I don't miss a single new item;) Here's an oldie but goodie recipe I got from real simple magazine...I tend to jazz it up from time to time by adding a can of corn & some rotini pasta...Eat up!!

Ingredients
1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
kosher salt and pepper
1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
3 tablespoons pine nuts, chopped
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
crusty bread (optional)
Directions
Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes and their liquid, 2 cups water, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Add the chickpeas and beans and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
Combine the garlic, pine nuts, parsley, the remaining olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl.
Divide the chili among individual bowls and top with the pesto. Serve with the bread, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment